KEEPING THE LEGACY OF OUR VETERANS ALIVE IN YEA
The Andrews Labor Government is keeping the legacy of local veterans alive with funding to support Yea-Kinglake RSL Sub Branch
Member for Northern Victoria Jaclyn Symes announced the Yea-Kinglake RSL Sub Branch will receive $40,000 to create a safer RSL Hall entry for Yea-Kinglake Veterans. This project will replace entry footpath, front-porch and entrance doors with functional, safe and compliant structures ensuring safe and equitable access for people of all abilities.
It is one of 84 projects right across the state that will share in $1.4 million as part of a range of grants to support veterans.
The projects cover a range of initiatives, such as ensuring memorials are preserved, commemorating veterans through services and events and providing education or training programs so veterans can remain engaged with the community.
Some of the other 84 projects include:
- $18,000 for welfare support for RAAF members in Ballarat
- $12,000 to the Geelong Legacy Club to pay heating bills for disadvantaged Legacy widows
- $12,000 for the Torquay RSL Sub-Branch to offer home exercise programs and more
- $675 to build a plaque honouring all those from Bass Valley who served in the Boer War
- $9,000 to help run Ballarat’s ANZAC Day Commemorative Services
- $8,000 to repair the roof of Bendigo’s Legacy House
More information about the successful recipients of the grants can be found at vic.gov.au/grants-support-and-commemorate-veterans.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Veterans Robin Scott
“We’re working hard to protect the legacy of our veterans and pass it on for future generations.”
“Our veterans fought hard for our shared values and remembering their stories reminds us to take stock of that sacrifice and pay tribute.”
Quotes attributable to Member for Northern Victoria Jaclyn Symes
“This funding is wonderful for Yea-Kinglake RSL Sub Branch they do amazing work supporting our veterans – they deserve an extra helping hand.”
“We must never forget the service of our veterans – they are the reason we enjoy the freedoms we do today.”