More People, More Active, More Often In Loddon Campaspe
Communities in Loddon Campaspe will to be more active, more often thanks to the Healthy Heart of Victoria initiative supported by the Andrews Labor Government.
Minister for Regional Development Jaclyn Symes visited Maryborough today to announce 11 infrastructure and activation projects across the region, supported as part of the Labor Government’s $5 million Healthy Heart initiative.
The funding includes $51,000 to develop a kitchen garden at the Maryborough Community House to encourage healthy eating and gardening. The initiative will also upgrade playground facilities at the Community House to keep the region’s littlest residents active.
A further $112,000 will upgrade paths at the Goldfields Reservoir in Maryborough so a weekly “parkrun” can be held, while a new outdoor basketball court will be built at Gordon Gardens, near Dunolly, in the Central Goldfields Shire.
The initiative will also support lifeguard and swimming teacher training programs at Gurri Wanyarra Wellbeing Centre in Kangaroo Flat, which will encourage members of the local Karen community to become more active.
This is part of a larger initiative that includes the installation of outdoor gym equipment, lighting and seating at Kangaroo Flat Browning Street Oval and the Bendigo Creek Trail.
The Loddon Campaspe Regional Partnership made the Healthy Heart project a priority after hearing from the community that the region needed more preventative health initiatives.
As well as providing new infrastructure to help communities be more active, the program funded an active living census to evaluate health levels in the region.
The census received 25,000 responses, with the information now being collated to inform any new health and recreation services that may be required in the region.
The initiative includes the employment of health brokers in each of the Loddon Campaspe local government areas, who will help drive progress and change throughout the region.
Quotes attributable to Minister for Regional Development Jaclyn Symes
“It’s fantastic to see a community-driven initiative like the Healthy Heart of Victoria program making a real difference in the region – by getting Victorians more active, more often.”
“The Loddon Campaspe community told the Regional Partnership that they were worried about statistics on health outcomes in their region – and we’re really proud to have supported the community to deliver a local solution to improve public health and wellbeing.”
Central Goldfields Shire
- $51,272 for the Maryborough Community House Kitchen Garden and Community Playground
- $112,131 for the Goldfields Reservoir path upgrade and parkrun, Maryborough
- $29,647 for the Gordon Gardens Basketball Court at Dunolly
- $20,040 to recruit and train volunteer life guards across the area. Total project value is $39,040
- $140,000 for Boort Lake Precinct Activation. Total project value is $181,500
- $140,000 for the Wedderburn and Bridgewater Open Space Activation. Total project value is $181,500
City of Greater Bendigo
- $139,800 for Kangaroo Flat Browning Oval and Bendigo Creek Trail. This is for outdoor gym equipment, lighting, seats and drinking water fountains. Activation activities include multicultural lifeguard swimming training. Total project value is $225,800
- $160,200 for Long Gully Recreation Reserve Activation. Total project value is $237,200
- $272,597 for Activating Crossenvale in Echuca. Total project value is $299,090
Macedon Ranges Shire
- $300,000 for WalKyneton including for the installation of water fountains, seating and redevelopment of the existing walking track
Mount Alexander Shire
- $300,000 for Castlemaine Walking and Cycling Linkages. Total project value is $330,000