More Support For Fire-Affected Businesses And Communities
The Andrews Labor Government is backing bushfire affected communities, with new funding for projects across East Gippsland and North East Victoria that will attract visitors and support local jobs.
Premier Daniel Andrews joined Minister for Emergency Services Lisa Neville at Buchan Caves today to announce $2 million to rebuild the campground, develop a new masterplan and progress the first stage of works – including a new camp kitchen and other upgrades.
The funding is part of $8.5 million being released today from a new Bushfire Tourism and Business Fund, which will support a range of projects in fire-affected areas across East Gippsland and North East Victoria. The $10 million fund is expected to create more than 260 jobs and could unlock over $120 million in private investment.
Other projects supported by the funding released today include:
- $2.6 million for Wodonga Logistics Precinct Gas Gate to expand supply and create jobs
- $1.9 million in additional funding for the Ride High Country Private Sector Activation Initiative to expand bike tourism in north east Victoria
- $500,000 for Rural Skills Connect co-ordinators to provide employment and training support for bushfire-affected farmers, their families and their workers
- $500,000 to improve visitor facilities in the Alpine region through the Dinner Plain Activation Project
- $500,000 for the redevelopment of Colac Colac Caravan Park to support the growth of the Man from Snowy River Bush Festival
- $300,000 towards a new sprinkler system at the abalone fisherman’s cooperative in Mallacoota
- $250,000 towards a new masterplan for Paynesville Foreshore and Boardwalk
Today’s investment means the Government has now provided more than $270 million to help bushfire-affected communities recover and rebuild.
Further investment from the fund will be announced in due course. For more information about bushfire response and recovery, visit vic.gov.au/bushfire-recovery-victoria.
Quotes attributable to Premier Daniel Andrews
“These projects will drive visitors to East Gippsland and North East Victoria – boosting business and supporting jobs.”
“We’re providing the practical, on-the-ground support bushfire-affected communities need to recover and rebuild.”
Quote attributable to Minister for Regional Development Jaclyn Symes
“These projects are the next step in helping locals, businesses and communities get back on their feet.”
Quote attributable to Minister for Energy, Environment and Climate Change Lily D’Ambrosio
“Buchan Caves is a wonderful family holiday spot that has been devastated by the fires – this money will rebuild it and help make it even better for future generations of campers visiting beautiful East Gippsland.”
Quote attributable to Minister for Emergency Services Lisa Neville
“We’re standing with fire-affected communities every step of the way – from fighting the fires in summer to helping them rebuild their homes, their businesses and their lives well after the flames have passed.”
Quote attributable to Minister for Tourism, Sport and Major Events Martin Pakula
“Now more than ever – a short stay goes a long way, so I encourage people get out and visit these communities.”