Supporting The Goulburn Murray Plan For A Vibrant Future
20th Dec 2016
Minister for Water Lisa Neville today announced $1.6 million to deliver the Farm Enterprise Strategic Planning Initiative, a tool for irrigators to support jobs and promote a sustainable Goulburn Murray Irrigation District.
- Irrigators are a key part of the social and economic viability of our regions and as landholders they play an important part in maintaining the health of the environment.
The Farm Enterprise Strategic Planning Initiative includes:
- Irrigators meeting with irrigation planning specialists to help strategic planning;
- Facilitated group sessions so irrigators can meet to discuss issues and plans; and
- Work books tailored to individual farms which will help irrigators understand the best way forward and make the right decisions for their business.
- The farming landscape has seen significant change over the past decade with the implementation of the Murray-Darling Basin Plan, which includes the now re-set $2 billion Connections project. It is important that our irrigators are provided with information and tools to help make important decisions on their businesses.
Initiatives like this will support a more resilient and productive irrigation sector as well as build resilience to changing markets and environmental conditions such as climate change, drought and flooding. This will support jobs in the region into the future.
The Andrews Labor Government is supporting farming families to make well-informed decisions in light of changes in water availability, modernisation works, market dynamics, climate and water management under the Basin Plan.
Supporting liveable and resilient communities is a key focus of Water for Victoria – the state water plan released recently – which looks to improve water security in our regional and rural communities, protect jobs and agriculture, recognise Aboriginal water values and improve environmental health.
- The initiative will be delivered by North Central CMA in partnership with the Department of Environment, Land, Water and Planning, the Department of Economic Development, Jobs, Training and Resources and Goulburn Broken CMA.
To register interest contact the North Central CMA. For more information see www.delwp.vic.gov.au/water
Quotes attributable to Minister for Water Lisa Neville
“This Initiative will help Goulburn Murray irrigation District farmers make informed decisions about their businesses and contribute towards an even more resilient and productive agricultural community. ”
“This funding will give up to 400 irrigators across the district the opportunity to consult with experts – to help plan their futures.”